Friday, February 18, 2011

Reflections on the first week

I've been meaning to write a nice long post on what I have absorbed this week. It really has taken me this long to absorb all the things that have happened and I still don't think I can articulate clearly what I have gotten* out of this week.

I enjoyed all my classes this week. Education theory is such a new area for me to be studying, and it is really interesting the number of opinions and viewpoints that are brought to the discussion.

Some points from this week
  • sock puppets are allowed to ask stupid questions
  • classroom management is not just controlling disruptive students
  • it's hard to do an ICT class when the fibre connection to the building is cut
  • teaching necessitates bringing the subject down to the student's level and establishing what they already know. Try teaching area without first knowing basic maths operations or what a polygon is!
A final thought. There are so many people with interesting backgrounds in this course. Every single person I have talked to this week has surprised me.

------------------

* yes, I know this is not a real word.

No comments:

Post a Comment